This is one of those questions that I wish I could remember the context for. But I don’t. It’s just sitting there in the master list of the questions my son has asked, sandwiched between “What’s plankton?” and “What if the oceans froze?”, and I have no idea when or why he asked me this. Just “would a helicopter work on Mars?”
Usually I try to jot down something about the context. But not this time.
So, let’s get to the question. Would a helicopter work on Mars?
The simple answer appears to be “yes”. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory, on January 22, 2015, put out a press release on that very subject. They’ve designed a small proof-of-concept drone with the imaginitive name Mars Helicopter. It’s a 2.2 pound (1 kg) device, cubical in shape, with a 3.6 foot (1.1 meter0 rotor span. As designed, it would be deployed to work in conjunction with a future Mars rover.
The helicopter would fly ahead of the rover almost every day, checking out various possible points of interest and helping engineers back on Earth plan the best driving route.
Scientists could also use the helicopter images to look for features for the rover to study in further detail. Another part of the helicopter’s job would be to check out the best places for the rover to collect key samples and rocks for a cache, which a next-generation rover could pick up later.
If you prefer visuals, JPL also has a video about Mars Helicopter. It’s primarily CGI, since they haven’t constructed a fully-functional model, but it includes a few shots of a prototype trying to fly in a simulated Martian atmosphere.
But, what would it take to make a helicopter work on Mars? Not that I don’t believe JPL when they say it can be done – they are literally rocket scientists, and their entire job revolves around building things for space and other planets – but I’m curious. Fortunatly, NASA has me covered again. Let’s turn now to a paper describing the actual experiments NASA has done on rotary-wing aircraft for Mars, titled Experimental Investigation and demonstration of Rotary-Wing Technologies for Flight in the Atmosphere of Mars.
The paper begins by describing the challenges faced in constructing a rotary-wing aircraft for the Red Planet:
The Martian atmosphere is 95% CO2 with the remaining 5% comprised of N2 and other trace gases. Mars’ gravity is slightly greater than a third of Earth’s. The atmosphere of Mars is extremely cold and thin (approximately 1/100’th of Earth’s sea-level atmospheric density). Further, a seasonal variation of approximately 20% of the planetary atmospheric mass occurs on Mars (a consequence of polar CO2 condensation and sublimation). Given the thin, carbon-dioxide-based Martian atmosphere, developing a rotorcraft design that can fly in that planetary environment will be very challenging.
After that, the article goes into a lot of cool descriptions of various hypothetical rotorcraft designs and a whole lot of math that flies right over my head. It’s all stuff I’d love to understand, but it gets into some advanced-looking physics and aviation engineering concepts that I’ve never studied. Here’s what I could pick out:
* NASA is investigating both coaxial and quad-rotor configurations.
* Experiments have been done with battery power, electricity generated by fuel cells, and engines fueled by hydrazine. At present, some variety of electrical power seems to be the best option.
* It’s really hard to test an actual prototype under conditions that replicate Martian gravity, atmosphere pressure, and composition. At present, we’ve only managed it with the pressure.
* The rotors will have to be really big and spin really fast, and the rotorcraft will have to be really light.
A reasonable layman’s description of what a Martian helicopter can be found in this quote from the second page of the paper:
From an aeromechanics perspective, Mars rotorcraft will be very different from their terrestrial counterparts. Mars rotorcraft will have very large lifting-surfaces and will be required to have ultra-lightweight construction. For example, in order to lift ten kilograms of vehicle mass on Mars, a single main rotor (at a disk loading of 4 N/m2) would have to have a radius of approximately 1.7 meters.
For added fun, check out Interplanetary Cessna on Russel Monroe’s What If? site, which answers the question “What would happen if you tried to fly a normal Earth airplane above different Solar System bodies?” It’s not specifically on the topic, but it’s close.